Where can you find me?

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Is it worth sacrificing customer service to score a commission?

This is a little bit of an unusual blog post, because I'm not really critiquing or reviewing one of the products that I sell, but I do want to share what happened to me this weekend that reminded me of just WHY it is so important to me to make sure that all of you are happy with the items that you purchase from me and why I make sure and take the extra few seconds before sealing the bag after purchase to double-check that the seals are intact, to verify that you are getting exactly the items that you asked for and to make sure that everyone knows that you are more than welcome to return your purchase for a refund or exchange if you are absolutely not in love with what you got. 

So....the theme tonight...is it worth sacrificing customer service to score a commission? 

My answer? NO. I will never, ever, ever shop at Neiman Marcus again. EVER. 

Last year I had researched the best orange blossom perfumes on the internet and Jo Malone London kept coming up. I went to Neiman Marcus at my nearby mall, checked out their testers, narrowed it down to English Pear and Freesia, Nectarine Blossom and Honey and Orange Blossom. My husband went and bought me English Pear and Freesia. 

About two weeks ago, I went shopping with my tween and checked out the two I didn't get last year. 

 My husband and I went out Saturday night and we decided on Nectarine Blossom and Honey. 

Christmas Eve at midnight I opened my gift to discover English Pear and Freesia. The exact same perfume sitting on my dresser. 

So what happened? I honestly don't know, and I know that this post is going to seem REALLY obsessive and fixating, but I swear to all that is holy, I am convinced that this perfume counter consultant did this on purpose. And if you are wondering why in the world we spent as much time looking at perfume as we might have spent looking at a car, Jo Malone's 3.4 oz bottles retail for $135. I freaking LOVE my perfumes. And it's tradition! My dad gave me a bottle every year for Christmas until I got married, and then he and my husband overlapped for a while, and now my husband Philip gives me one. Every year. Without fail. Quality perfume is worth the money.

For the story's purpose, let's call her Becky. As in OMG BECKY WHY DID YOU DO THAT!? My theory: She wanted a quick commission. 

Believe me, I don't know her real name and I sure wish I did, but the receipt didn't have her name on it. 

Facts:

1) My twelve-year-old daughter M, being the curious tween that she is, picked up her perfume of choice (English Oak and Hazelnut) sprayed it all over herself. I don't think Becky liked that because she immediately pulled a Wayne's World/May I help you? riff move and offered to spray a card down for us instead. Mmphm. Note, Becky, perfume smells better on PEOPLE than cards.

2) Saturday night she was really trying to sell us on one of the other scents like Wild Bluebell and the sultry "nighttime" scents even though I had already come in with my final two picked out. But she was really trying to get us to buy something else. (Yep. I know I should have clued in on that one.)

3) I distinctly made it clear during our fifteen-minute "sell" that I already owned English Pear and
Freesia. I made it clear that I really think Jo Malone perfumes are quality and that's why I wanted a second scent. When I like something, I really like it! And this was the only thing I wanted for Christmas. Once Philip and I settled on Nectarine Blossom and Honey, she went over, picked up the last bottle of what we thought was Nectarine Blossom and Honey, checked it and immediately whisked it away to do the Love Actually routine with the wrapping. Not once did she allow us to look at the bottle before she started wrapping it. 

4) She rang up Nectarine Blossom and Honey. It was ON THE RECEIPT.


So now knowing my love affair with quality, beautifully floral and citrusy perfumes, you can understand my disappointment when I unwrapped the Love Actually bag complete with a cute little ornament and cute little bow to find the same English Pear and Freesia sitting on my dresser. 

Tonight, I took it back to Neiman Marcus to exchange it. Who knew I'd be returning it for a refund? 

More fun facts that I was informed of by "Alicia", since Becky was not there. 

1) Neiman Marcus was sold out of BOTH Nectarine Blossom and Honey AND Orange Blossom for a week. A WEEK. We were there three days ago. That was never mentioned. 

2) No, they have no idea when they are getting more in.

3) She REALLY wanted to give me a "merchandise credit" even though I do not shop at Neiman Marcus. Neiman Marcus is where I park to go to Lush. It's not where I shop. I only shopped there to begin with because last year at the time I became interested in Jo Malone, Neiman Marcus was the only store that carried those perfumes. 

4) She was sure that "Becky didn't do it on purpose" and that "she was probably just busy". Right. We were the ONLY ONES at the Jo Malone counter Saturday night. 

5) She was sure that "Becky just mixed it up with another bottle of perfume". No, she did NOT. I watched her! She picked up the last bottle of English Pear and Freesia and there were no other bottles on the counter. 

Whatever. I asked her to credit my husband's card (which took her about six times longer than it should have) and send an email receipt (how hard is it to type pxgonz70?) and that I would just order it online. She did so after assuring me that she just "wanted to give me the highest level of customer service" (right) and then wishing me a happy holiday. I just gave her the stink eye. I was honestly afraid to open my mouth.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I was SO MAD that I actually teared up on the way to my car. Philip, being the great guy he is, insisted on calling around and we found Nordstrom's at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco that had three bottles of Nectarine Blossom and Honey. That perfume attendant was SO nice, not only did she manage to cater to three customers at once, she actually sprayed my tissue paper with the tester to make the bag smell nice after I told her it was okay not to wrap it since it was after Christmas. AND she said thank you. (Yep, I teared up again! My faith in perfume counter attendants was restored!)

I know that one of my downfalls is always expecting to be treated the way that I treat others, but I always make sure that I verify my client's purchases with them before they leave my table, I always show them the items to make sure that they are exactly what they want and that the seals aren't broken, and I never, ever make excuses when people ask to return or exchange items. 

I sure hope that commission was worth it to Becky. Neiman Marcus lost a client for life. Nordy's, even though they already had my loyalty thanks to their awesome shoe department and lingerie service, has me forever. I never would have known what bra size I really was if their lingerie department hadn't offered to measure me!

Anyway, the moral of the story, especially if you are in customer service: keep in mind that karma never forgets. Becky may have gotten her little commission from me, but how many people will read this blog and remember it every time they walk by Neiman Marcus? 

I hope that if I ever pull a "Becky" with any of my customers, you all will take me to the carpet and remind me...because that is NOT why I decided to start selling cosmetics and skin care. The whole reason why I decided to split the Abundance parfum trios was based on feedback from MY CUSTOMERS! That is just how I choose to do business. 

On that note as we wrap up 2017, I hope all of you had a Merry Christmas and best wishes for a HAPPY NEW YEAR!



No comments:

Post a Comment